Monday, April 16, 2012

A Far Cry From Kensington by Muriel Spark

There just isn't enough time in the day to read as much as I would like to so generally I steer clear of reading challenges and just go where the pages take me.  But when the bloggers who have given me so much host a challenge there is no question - I'm in. 

As many of you are aware, Simon from StuckInABook is hosting a Muriel Spark Reading Week from April 23 - 29.  I am also excited that Harriet is co-hosting as her blog has become another favourite place for me to drop by and discover new book titles or lovely art.  Last but far from least, Thomas designed the gorgeous button everyone has been posting in support of what is surely to be an informative and entertaining reading event.

The reason I chose A Far Cry From Kensington is two fold.  First, it was the only title by this author on the shelf at the library branch where I work.  Second, when Virago issued their clothbound 30th anniversary editions in 2008, I had no idea who Muriel Spark was so I passed this title by.  Shocking, but still, I can't be picking up every book with a pretty cover on the off chance I'll be totally enamoured with the writing at some later date now can I?  Better late than never though, it must be said.  So without further ado...

It's 1954 and Mrs Hawkins is a widow, her husband killed during World War II.  Despite being only in her mid-twenties she exudes an aura of someone older with her comforting advice and generous waistline.  Her fellow residents in the rooming house located in South Kensington are much like an extended family with a varied cast of interesting characters (but aren't we all?).  Mrs Hawkins spends her working day in a converted Queen Anne house which is the office of Ullswater Press, a small publishing company.  Her travels throughout various neighbourhoods of London made me want to do something silly and click 'Book Now' on the British Airways website.  I digress.

One day while strolling in Green Park, Mrs Hawkins is approached by the annoying Hector Bartlett who is a tad over-confident about his writing skills.  Knowing that Mrs Hawkins works at Ullswater Press he strikes up a conversation with her but is quickly struck down with the cutting moniker of 'Pisseur de copie', the translation being something like 'urinates frightful prose'.  A statement which became more hilarious every time I knew it was about to be handed out since Mrs Hawkins is nothing if not faithful to her assessment of this pest in a suit.

Back at home, the tenants of the rooming house are faced with a mystery when Wanda, the Polish dressmaker, receives an anonymous letter.  She is threatened with exposure to the authorities for not disclosing her business details and income.  As everyone speculates about who this mysterious person(s) could be, Wanda's paranoia grows.  As horrifying and sad an image as this could be, Spark has employed clever humour and made the storylines one of the most delightful combinations of mystery/whimsy/comedy I've ever had the pleasure to read.  Perfect stuff for chasing away rainy day blahs or cuddling up with during dratted flu episodes so don't pass up an opportunity to add it to your bedside table.

Thanks to Simon for bringing yet another wonderful author to my attention.  I've read that Loitering with Intent is another popular choice in Sparks' oeuvre but if you have another particular favourite, please share with the rest of us.  The more the merrier!

13 comments:

  1. It's got to be Jean Brodie. Absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well who can resist a perfect book? Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. I'm reading The Girls of Slender Means first, but I have this one on my time for next! :) If you can get your hands on it--you should try it as well sometimes as I think you'd like it! And there really isn't enough time for everything, is there?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're joining in, Danielle! My favourite second-hand shop has loads of books by Spark so I'll have a look as I don't think my library stocks a copy.

      Delete
  3. I've liked very different novels by Muriel Spark, for differing reasons, but I would be inclined to sat that Loitering With Intent is the most you. It might also be an interesting companion read to this one, as there are significant similarities but also differences. It's also in print as a Virago Modern Classic ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her range of topics is what made me think she wasn't for me, some of them sound 'out there' at first glance. Well, to me anyway. But now I could kick myself for judging! You made me smile when you wrote that 'Loitering with Intent is the most you'. That's so sweet.

      Delete
  4. After reading your review of "A Far Cry from Kensington," this will be my next book by Spark. I am reading "Loitering with Intent" and really enjoying it. This book is very funny! I have read Jean Brodie several times, and loved the movie. I am also participating in the "Muriel Spark Reading Week" and will write a review of "Loitering" on my blog next week. This is my first time participating in an event like this, and I am very happy I decided to do it. I can't wait to hear everyone's reviews and comments about Spark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book makes you feel like you do when you watch the best black and white movie on a rainy day...you'll just want to hug it! If you love these types of books, and I know you do, you are going to really enjoy this group of bloggers, Sunday. Looking forward to your review!

      Delete
  5. Oo, look at you, getting ahead of the game!

    I haven't read this one, but it sounds brilliant - and definitely very Spark. She does whimsy/comedy/mystery (as you say) so well - always a little dark, and surreal, and yet not remotely scary. Just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading a page here and there between work, housework and Deacon I have to make sure I'm ahead of the game or forever lag behind. My dream is to be wealthy enough to allow me to read all day!

      Thank you SO much for introducing me to Spark, Simon! I'm not sure about some of her work but her sense of humour is just the sort I really enjoy. And you will love this title I promise you!

      See you when the chat starts...

      Delete
  6. Although I won't be able to participate next week, I have enjoyed The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and Memento Mori. A Far Cry from Kensington sounds wonderful, too. Your photo looks like it was taken on the street where Daughter #1 lived while studying in London last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That time went by so fast but oh the memories your daughter must have of her time in London, lucky girl! It's looking like I am one of the few who haven't read The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie so it will have to come home from the library with me.

      Delete
  7. My favorites were The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, A Far Cry From Kensington, Memento Mori, Loitering with Intent, and the Girls of Slender Means.

    ReplyDelete