Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Withdrawn Whipple

I've just risked life and limb at the mailbox and for what?  Nothing!  The sun is shining, children are screaming in the school playground and I was looking forward to my copy of Greenbanks by Dorothy Whipple arriving any minute. 

Looking forward to a parcel stamped "Royal Mail" from The Book Depository, I was about to unlock my mailbox when I heard snarling.  Instinctively turning to the sound I looked up into the foaming jaws of a canine boxer looking down on me from his post on top of a hot tub.  It's peering down at us from above the owners' fence.  Deacon and I made our escape and didn't look back to check if the dog had leapt the fence.

Safely inside the house I turned on the computer only to find out my pre-order of Greenbanks from The Book Depository has been cancelled.  My credit card has been refunded.  It all sounds so final.  I'm at the back of the line, out of the latest Whipple release loop!

Has anyone else experienced the same feeling of utter disappointment today due to an email sent by The Book Depository?  A support group might make me feel better.

11 comments:

  1. Ooh, that would make me so MAD! I had a BD experience something like that once. I ordered a book just after it was nominated for the Booker, and a few days later the order was cancelled because the book wasn't available. So frustrating! I hope you find your Whipple soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hate when a day ends like that - the non appearance of a book is so frustrating. Hope it's with you soon from one source or another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got that same email from Amazon before (always for Persephone books, always, always, always!) but never after braving canine terrors!

    I think you should take this as a sign that you just need to go back to London and buy it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard that this has happened to other people (the book thing, not the dog thing). I think I also read somewhere that it has to do, or sometimes has to do, with their ability to sell certain books to countries where publishing rights haven't been worked out, or the release date (e.g., in Canada) is later.

    On the other hand, I like Claire's solution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry. That takes all the fun out of trips to the mailbox....to say nothing of the boxer... Susan E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, We can be mad for a little while but we always go back for more don't we. I can wait out this little blip but in the meantime there will be whimpering...

    Desperate Reader, Just more days to strike off the calendar, waiting for the postman to come...again. *Sigh* Thanks for sharing in my misery though!

    thecaptivereader, We must get to the bottom of this, Claire! What is up with delaying our much-longed for Persephone titles? I'll contact one of our English allies and try to get the scoop. And I'll put forth your argument for another trip overseas to my husband!

    Audrey, I've had other Persephone titles ship out on release dates but who knows? It could depend title to title. My husband is planning a trip out in February if I can wait that long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, He's a new addition to the neighbourhood, lucky me. Reminds me of that dog of Onslow's who would pop up and frighten Hyacinth on Keeping up Appearances!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that has happened to me, too! You might see if you can order it via ABEbooks--strangely TBD will still fulfill the order and offer free shipping, but I have not been able to order brand new releases from TBD for months now. I'm not sure what is going on--maybe that Amazon owns them now and will not ship to North America--at least the new new books (that territorial thing again?). After a few months you can get the books, but who wants to wait! So excited to see Greenbanks is being reissued--I loved it and plan on getting it myself! Good luck with your order!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danielle, Very interesting. Who wants to wait indeed and is it very wise to push customers away? Thankfully I am far from bookless and will just have to try again at a later date or pay the shipping fee through Persephone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! That's happened to me in the past...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darlene, you have a treat in store when you finally get hold of this - you are so going to love it!

    ReplyDelete