Friday, April 17, 2009

Planning London

There are so many wonderful places to visit in London that it's hard to stop planning! Sometimes the best afternoons come from having no plans at all. So here are a few places that I plan to visit: The Imperial War Museum - there's an exhibit about war through the eyes of children. The British Library - there are documents and letters with historical value that I can't wait to see. Seeing a play at the Criterion Theatre in Picadilly Circus - 39 Steps Jane Austen's House in Chawton and hopefully, Winchester Cathedral Geffrye Museum - there are rooms decorated to period from 1600 to present day. Visit I Knit - a knitting shop! I plan on taking some knitting and attending one of their drop-in knitting nights, too fun. Apsley House - the London house of the Dukes of Wellington Victoria & Albert Museum - Kristina went to an exhibit on hats that sounded fabulous. London Walks - you meet up with a tour guide at a selected tube stop and off you go to hear fantastic stories about the history around you. These are a great way to pass the evening as each walk is a couple of hours and you usually end up at a pub just in case you like that sort of thing. Persephone Books - you didn't think I'd go home empty-handed did you? Exploring the neighbourhood of Marylebone - just because I don't have a picture in my head of what it's like there. Marks and Spencers yogurt - Lakemead Ginger and Heather Honey, does this count as an event? I'd like to spend some time just relaxing and enjoying a picnic in the park as well. It's fun to watch people play cricket in Green Park as opposed to baseball here at home. I asked The Heiress what she would like me to bring home for her, she said "A boy". I think Customs and Immigration frown on that sort of thing, a purse may just have to do.

5 comments:

  1. There is too much to choose from, isn't there! When you go to the V&A could you pass through the textile room? They have the Jane Bostocke sampler, which is the oldest known sampler. I wasn't into stitching when I was there--pity!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all sounds perfect. I can understand your daughter's request...must be the accent:) Maybe you can find a purse big enough to put the guy in...like a stowaway;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle, Jane Bostocke sampler is being noted! When I was there in 2005 I was thrilled to see needlepoint done by Mary, Queen of Scots. Shivers!

    Book PSmith, Too funny! If I'm bringing a boy home with me then he's carrying my books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you're including yogurt as an event!

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Queen od Scots was quite an accomplished needleworker--isn't that wild! I think the V&A is supposed to have a wonderful textile collection. Whatever you end up looking at, I'm sure you'll be in for a treat!

    ReplyDelete